Talk to an NOCE Counselor Today!

Define your education plan. Get academic counseling. Make an easier transition to college. NOCE Counseling and Student Services are here to help!

A photo of a NOCE counselor during an appointment with a student

Why see a NOCE Counselor?

Counselors can help you get the most out of your education. We recommend that NOCE students see a counselor at least three times.

  1. As a new student during your first term at NOCE, you will create a Student Educational Program Plan (SEPP) during your first visit. We will help you set a timeline and answer your questions.
  2. As a continuing student, halfway through your program, you can review or revise your SEPP. This is a good time to check your progress and set future goals.
  3. Near the end of your program. Meet with a counselor to complete an Application for Program Completion Form (if required). We will help you create a transition plan to college or your future career.

How to Make a Counselor Appointment

To make an appointment with an NOCE Counselor, please call 714.808.4682 or e-mail Appointments are currently being held over the phone, Zoom, or Cranium Cafe.

Programs We Help With:

Counseling and Student Services Offerings:

  • What is Orientation?

    Once you apply to NOCE and have your Banner ID (Student ID) and your PIN, you can log into the myGateway student portal. Once logged in, scroll down to the bottom of the “Student Links” section to access your program’s orientation. View a step-by-step guide or video: 

    New students in the programs below need to complete an orientation to register for classes: 

    • Career Technical Education (orientation is posted in myGateway) 
    • Disability Support Services (orientation is provided by the counselor at intake) 
    • English as a Second Language (orientation is located in myGateway) 
    • High School Diploma Program (orientation is posted in myGateway)

    The online orientation introduces students to the following: 

    • NOCE program requirements 
    • Academic policies 
    • Student support services 
    • An overview of each campus 
    • Tips for success 
  • Assessment Information (currently being waived temporarily for new High School Diploma students)

    For students interested in the High School Diploma Program, an assessment is required. Once you finish the online orientation in myGateway, you should then register for an assessment. 

    Why do you need an assessment? The assessment test provides information regarding your basic skill levels.  Your assessment scores will help our NOCE counselors in providing guidance to you about the necessary support to achieve your goals. 

    To register for an assessment test, please log into myGateway. Assessment dates can fill up fast and registration is available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Please refer to the Counseling and Student Services Calendar below for assessment dates. 

  • What is a Student Educational Program Plan?

    A Student Educational Program Plan (SEPP) is an important tool to help students reach their academic goals. 

    Counselors provide personalized advice to help you to complete your program. You will work with your counselor to develop an educational plan, that includes the courses and length of time needed to complete your program. 

    When building a SEPP, counselors review the following: 

    • Your personal timeline  
    • Short and long-term college/career goals 
    • Course load preferences

    Any questions or concerns will be answered during the first appointment.  You are encouraged to schedule a follow-up appointment if your SEPP or academic/career goals change. You will be given a copy of your SEPP for reference, or you can access it anytime through myGateway (and accessing DegreeWorks).  

    DegreeWorks. Students can access and create their own SEPP using the online tool known as DegreeWorks which can be accessed through myGateway

    For a step-by-step guide, see the links below:  

  • Counseling Information

    The NOCE Counseling and Student Services Department have counseling professionals available to provide a variety of services: 

    • Education Planning: Your Student Educational Program Plan (SEEP) gives you a plan to complete all the classes in your program on time. NOCE counselors can help you plan courses and track your progress.
    • Career Counseling: NOCE counselors can help you prepare to go to college after you complete your program.
    • College Information: Students who wish to apply to a community college or university can meet with an NOCE counselor. Your counselor will discuss your options. Once your noncredit courses and/or program is completed, your counselor will help prepare you for your transition.
    • Adult College and Career Transition (ACCT): Get resources to support your college or workforce transition. Learn more, visit the Adult College and Career Transitions page.
    • Goal Setting: Earn a diploma. Learn English. Get a better job. NOCE counselors can help you set and meet educational goals.
    • Referral to Disability Support Services: Get accommodations at school. Whether you need extra time for tests or help with notetaking, we offer academic support for students with disabilities.
    • Personal Counseling and Community Referrals: NOCE counselors can talk about basic personal issues affecting a student’s educational progress. NOCE counseling is not the same as seeking personal counseling for mental or emotional health problems. However, referrals for these types of services can be provided to students.   
  • Make an Appointment with a Counselor

    Why Do I Need to See a NOCE Counselor? 

    Seeing an academic counselor is beneficial to students. Counselors can help you guide your educational plans. We recommend that NOCE students see a counselor at a minimum of three times. 

    1. First, as a new student during your first term at NOCE. During your first visit, you will create a student educational program plan (SEPP), set a timeline, and have any questions answered about NOCE programs and services.
    2. Second, as a continuing student. During the half-way point of your program, you can review and revise your SEPP, as needed. This is a good time to evaluate progress, and program completion and discuss future educational goals. 
    3. Lastly, as a student nears completion of a program. You can meet with a counselor to complete an Application for Program Completion form (if required) and create a transition plan to college or career after completion of your current program. 

    How do I make an appointment with a counselor? 

    Counseling appointments are currently being held remotely, by phone or online through Zoom and/or other technologies such as Cranium Cafe. Call us to set up an appointment that meets your needs! 


    To make an appointment with a NOCE counselor, please call 714.808.4682 or e-mail 

  • What to expect during your counseling appointment
    • At the time of your appointment, you will see a call come to your phone with the area code 657. Please know that it is your counselor calling you, and you should accept the call. 
    • If you do not pick up the call at your scheduled time, we will move on to the next student. If you miss your appointment, please call the Counseling phone number 714.808.4682 to reschedule.  
    • Once the counselor begins the appointment, your counselor may suggest connecting through Zoom or Cranium Café for your counseling appointment.  
    • It may help to have your laptop or PC ready for the appointment, and your questions are written down to ask your counselor. 
    • If you don’t have computer access, we can still help you by phone! 

Academic Counseling Videos